Chapter 9

 

Bulma jumped out of bed and tried to look as if she had been caught sleeping in her master's bed. Which was remarkably easy to do as in a sense that is exactly what had happened. But dense as Nappa was he could not mistake that smile Bulma flashed at him when she didn't realise it was him. It was sweet and anticipating like something that someone would flash towards their lover, not something they would flash towards someone who caught them doing something they shouldn't. Nappa could not think of anyone the girl might meet in the Prince's quarters that could draw that kind of a smile from her. Scowling darkly he demanded again, 'What the hell are you doing here?'

'I… I…' stammered Bulma, her mind shutting down in the face of the big bald Saiyain's dark, angry, confused scowl.

'Whatever she is doing here Nappa, it is none of your business.' Came Vegeta's annoyed voice from behind him. Making Nappa jump.

It was Nappa's turn to stammer, 'My Prince… I was not aware that you had taken a new concubine…' a brain synapses fired, 'I was not aware you had any concubines.' Said Nappa wondered since when Vegeta marked dislike for pleasure slaves had altered to the point that he had brought one to his own personal chambers instead of using the numerous rooms in the harem designed for this specific reason.

'Since when is my personal life any of your concern.' Demanded Vegeta in a not so pleased tone.

Nappa bowed his head low and shook it vigorously, 'No, no I didn't mean that your highness, it's just that…'

'Just what nothing, Nappa.' Barked Vegeta, 'Now tell why you are in my room and then get out.'

'Well, sire I just…' Nappa stopped, 'I can't remember.' He admitted after a moment.

Vegeta rolled his eyes, 'Get the hell out of here, Nappa.' Nappa bolted out of the room. Vegeta shook his head again, 'Moron.' He turned his gaze to Bulma, 'Are you alright?' he asked his voice softening considerably.

Bulma nodded, 'Yes, he just startled me.' She said but the worry was clear in her voice. She tried to hold it in but she couldn't, 'I don't want to end up in the harem.' She whispered her voice low with fear.

'You won't I'll make sure of that.' said Vegeta with dismissive shrug, 'You don't have to worry about Nappa either, he can't remember what he had for breakfast five minutes after he had it. He has likely forgotten everything about you by now.' Vegeta turned to her and smirked a feral smirk, 'But I haven't.' despite everything Bulma smiled. But a faint fear still lingered at the back of her mind. After all, Nappa was the commander of the entire Saiyain army, he couldn't possible be that incompetent.


The kid was better than Toma gave him credit for. It was amazing how fast he learnt or was Bardock a better teacher than he gave him credit for. Toma did not know for sure but he found that his admiration for Bardock was growing every moment he saw him train Gohan. Bardock seemed to know exactly what to say to encourage Gohan in his efforts and exactly what to say to discourage the bad moves Gohan made thinking that was the right way to do things. In less than two weeks Gohan was doing increasingly complicated combinations of the basic punches and kicks.

It occurred to Toma that Bardock pushed the boy a bit too much, as if he was trying to drum years worth of training into him in the space of a couple of months. That, he decided, had something to do with their upcoming mission. Bardock had already cleared it with Lord Cumba that Gohan would just remain on the ship while they went down to purge the planet. But if for some reason Gohan did have to go down to the planet surface, Toma guess, Bardock wanted him able to defend himself without having to turn into an Oozaru if he had to.

Briefly he wondered if Gohan would be nearly ready to do justice to Bardock's plan. Toma turned his attention fully to the area where Grandfather and Grandson was locked in an unusually serious sparring session. Gohan just managed to startle Bardock and was about to land a solid kick to his face when suddenly Bardock shoot eye lasers at him. The boy hung in mid-air for a moment before plummeting to the ground in a groan. 'Hey.' he complained. 'You said no eye lasers.'

'If your enemy told you he wouldn't use eye lasers would you believe him.' Demanded Bardock in irritation.

'But you are not my enemy.' Gohan pointed out.

'In this arena I am.' Said Bardock as he resumed his attack on Gohan. Gohan yelped and moved out of the way and again resumed attempting to block Bardock's rather aggressive attacks.

Toma was amazed at how many of Bardock's attacks got blocked and how many of Gohan's attacks broke through Bardock's defences. He felt a slow smile creep up on his face as he regarded the boy, 'Perhaps the boy will be ready for a real batter sooner than later.' He whispered.

'Of course he is.' Said Celipa, who had somehow came up next to him undetected, 'The boy has great potential and he is such a cute little kid too.' She said giving into her liking for kids. Toma smiled, yes the boy did have potential… a lot of potential.


Avo watched the faint reddish aura around Kakarott with detached curiosity. His scouter was feeding him power-levels that Kakarott should possess but he could careless. They were nowhere near the Princes and that was all that mattered. Besides he was sick of baby sitting the over-grown unbelievably childish Earth-Saiyain. The sad truth was that Kakarott could suddenly transform into a super Saiyain and Avo probably would just blink and just remain standing where he was with no further reaction. Something about the tedium of guard duty, combined with his prolonged absence from his mate had pushed Avo… into something Cado didn't have a word for. Cado wondered absently if some of the weird Ki techniques Kakarott was executing had somehow effected Avo mentally. After thinking over the matter much longer than he would have normally Cado decided that it was time he tried Lord Cumba again, before Avo decided to go on an Oozaru rampage. Avo was one of the few Saiyains who knew Bardock's dangerous artificial moon light generation technique. Despite being a common palace guard Avo's power-level was that of an elite while Cado's was not. He did not want to be around when Avo went Oozaru. Which means, decided Cado, it was definitely time to speak to Lord Cumba again.


'Ready, brat?' Asked Bardock as he strapped Gohan into his chair while preparing for the lift of the spacecraft that was to take them to their current mission.

Gohan nodded, 'But I don't have to kill anyone, right?' asked Gohan, reminding Bardock with his eyes that he had promised.

'Right.' Said Bardock with a hint of annoyance in his voice. 'The only thing you will be doing on this mission is sparring with me.' He informed his grandchild. 'That's all.'

Gohan nodded. Bardock sat down next to him and began to strap himself in. 'I wonder if Fluffy is going to be alright?' asked Gohan mostly to himself.

'I am sure that tiger of yours will be just find, now hang on we are about to lift of.' No sooner had he finished speaking when the breath was knocked out of Gohan momentarily as the craft sped towards outer-space.


Space was cold. Very cold, but it was no colder than the being that resided in the large circular spacecraft floating serenely deep in other space. The green humanoid viewed the data collected form the recent purging mission where they had used Saiyain mercenaries with something approaching concern. 'What's the matter pretty boy?' demanded the big pink beach ball bellied alien.

Zarbon looked up from the computer screen and glared at Dedoria but than he turned his gaze back to the screen and said coldly, 'I am just reviewing the report from the last purging mission where we sent the Saiyain's.' he's brows knitted together, 'I don't like it. I don't like it at all.'

'What?' demanded Dedoria, 'The Saiyains didn't get the job done satisfactorily.'

'O they did it more than satisfactorily.' Said Zarbon, 'But three of them also got huge jumps in Ki after getting out of the regeneration tanks.' Zarbon looked out through the view port to the still stars outside, 'If they keep getting Ki jumps like this in single generations they could become a problem.'

Dedoria thought for awhile but than snorted, 'You worry too much pretty boy. No one is a match for Freeza. The Saiyains would have to become a lot stronger in a lot shorter time before they can even give him a cut.' He said, 'Collectively they can be a problem.' Agreed Dedoria, 'But Saiyains aren't very big on banding together. Their king simply does not have the charisma and either those their Prince.'

Zarbon shock his head, 'The Saiyain Prince doesn't need charisma he has power. The Saiyains admire power and they are loyal to the throne. If the Saiyains really want war they can easily have one and if charisma ever becomes a problem, blindly loyal Saiyains like Cumba and Squad Commander Bardock have it in ample quantities. Besides,' he added, 'I am not as prompt in dismissing the stories about the legendary Super Saiyain as you or Lord Freeza. Races like the Saiyains do not have the imagination necessary to make something like that up.'

Dedoria shrugged after a moments thought, 'Feh it doesn't matter. If Lord Freeza thought they were some sort of threat then he would have destroyed them already.' He turned around and headed for the door, 'Come on pretty boy lets get something to eat.' Zarbon got to his feet and followed Dedoria out.

From the shadows a white, horned creature with black lips emerged and headed for the computer screen. His lips pursed as he read over what Zarbon had been reading. He didn't like it any more than Zarbon had. He looked away from the screen and out the view port and whispered to himself, 'Maybe it is time I eliminated the monkeys once and for all.'


As Vegeta predicted Nappa did not remember the strange occurrence in Vegeta's bedroom. His lack of memory probably had something to do with the fact that Cumba had Nappa so busy with copious amounts of utterly frivolous paper work that the Commander really did not have time for anything other than to go through the sheer pile data crystals on his desk. Vegeta made a mental note to thank Cumba lavishly after he became king. The thought of becoming king brought a strange satisfying smirk to Vegeta's face. He was not looking forward to the drudgery of kingship but after he became king he could be with his mate without having to constantly look over his shoulders. The constant danger did bring a very different sort of thrill to their relationship but Vegeta did not like the idea of Bulma being constantly in harms way and if his ascension could ensure her safety than everything would be worth it.

Speaking of being in harms way. Nappa did eventually remember why he had come into the Prince's private quarters that night. He had personally received word from Freeza's sleek blue aide that they were going to be attending the king's ascension celebration. Nappa had been so happy that someone of high Ki and high rank was actually taking him seriously had splinted to the Prince and King to give them the information himself. Vegeta shock his head and made a mental note to replace the Commander as soon as he came to power. But the point was still that Freeza would be on planet when Vegeta became king. It was not a comforting thought. As strong as Vegeta was, as vain as Vegeta was he could not deny the fact that he was no where near Freeza's league. If Freeza decided to interfere than even in Oozaru form he would not be any match for him. The only hope for him as well as his people and made would be for him to go Super Saiyain. As strong as he was he was no where near to becoming a super Saiyain. He shook his head, Feh, why would Freeza interfere? The only thing that misbegotten lizard wanted was his treaty with the Saiyains intact. Vegeta would pretend that all was well in that head and than, a slow smirk lifted up the corners of his mouth, when the time was right he would make that lizard wish he had never heard of the Saiyains.


'Weird Ki techniques.' Repeated Lord Cumba as he sardonically gazed at Cado, 'Unexplained jumps in Ki. Do you really want me to believe this Cado?' Demanded Cumba.

Cado flinched but remembered the elite at the brink of madness in the next room, 'My lord what I am telling you is true. If you do not believe me than send someone down here to investigate. But even if Kakarott was not doing strange things it does not take away from the fact that Avo has near gone mad.'

'What, Avo, the very model of mental soundness in the brink of madness? How could that possible be?' wondered Cumba sarcastically. 'So tell me what are the signs of this so called madness?' said Cumba in a tone of marked disinterest.

But Cado chose not to take the hint, 'He just stands there his face devout of expression, starring at Kakarott with eyes that I am sure are not taking anything in.' said Cado, 'Than during his break he went of to town and brought back a vile of perfume. His wife's favorite bottle and he has been using it on himself…'

'So Avo likes the smell of women's perfume and has taken to sleeping on his feet like a horse. Hardly cause for concern.' Said Cumba thought his tone was beginning to sound a little more interested.

'But…but that's not all.' Said Cumba, 'He talks in his sleep and sometimes sleep wakes while repeating over and over, "I'm not getting any." Its beginning to really spook me…plus,' he looked about uncomfortable but than whispered into the microphone, 'he has taken to wear women's underwear, the kind his wife wears…'

Cumba put up a hand to silence Cado, 'I don't even want to know how you know what kind of underwear Avo wears or more importantly what kind of underwear his wife wears. Now put Avo on.'

'Yes, my lord.' Said Cado. He went off the screen as he fetched Avo.

Avo sat down in front of the screen with completely blank face and began to greet Cumba when Cumba cut him off, 'By the great warriors you do look as if you are about to snap. Fine, pack your bags. I'll take over your charge myself. I want to see what weird Ki things Kakarott is doing.' He added mostly to himself.

Avo's face brightened considerably, 'Thank you, thank you lord Cumba. Thank you.'

Cumba shrugged, 'Whatever.' He said as he reached towards the disconnect button but just before he hit it he added, 'And Cumba.'

'Yes, my lord.'

'I would burn the women's underwear before you went to see your wife.' With that he discontinued the communication.

Avo sat in front of the communication console for sometimes wondering if he was more grateful to Cado for getting them of this assignment or angry for telling lord Cumba about his withdrawal syndrome. He decided giving Cado one black eye was going to be enough vending of his anger. As such he proceeded to go in search of Cado.


Bulma was relived that nothing bad had come of Nappa finding her in Vegeta's bed. But the event had served as a reminder of her precarious position. She was abruptly reminded King or not Vegeta's decision to wed her would not be favorably looked on. But it also made her understand how much Vegeta really wanted her and it made her feel special. She smiled to herself. No one, not even her parents and specially not Yamcha, made her feel as special as Vegeta made her feel. The way he looked at her made her think that she was the most precious thing it the universe. So precious that she had no equal. So precious that Vegeta would destroy the entire universe to keep her safe, including himself. But than again she was the most precious thing in the entire universe to him. Her smile broadened. It was nice to be loved.

'Bulma.' whispered Quish, 'The… the king wants us to hurry with… the project. It seems his alien ally is coming and he want to show of his new toys.'

Bulma blinked, 'I understand.' She said, 'How soon those he wants this?' she asked.

'Well the celebrations are in five weeks time so I would say in about four weeks.' Said Quish.

Bulma smiled slightly, 'Well lets get down to business than.' She said with a cheerfully exterior.


For a month Gohan had been on the purging mission with his Grandfather. They moved from planet to planet destroying everything. While his Grandfather fought on the planet surfaces below Gohan stayed at the ship crying his eyes out. He couldn't understand why they had to kill all those creatures. His Grandfather didn't like to talk about it because, Gohan suspected, he did not have an answer that he believed would satisfy Gohan. So he remained silent and just sparred with Gohan whenever he had the time. But finally the tour of death was coming to an end. They had but two planets left, Kanassasei and Meat.

The Kanassasei natives were a bunch of Ki-wielding green fish scared people. Most possessed Ki and they tried to use it the best they could against the Oozaru Saiyains, futile as that was. Some tried to flee, some just knelt and preyed and promptly got squashed under foot. Kneeling and preying in front of an Oozaru Saiyain is not a good idea. The battle went on all night but as the rays of the Kanassasei star heralded a new day it was clear that once again the Saiyains had been victorious.

Gohan joined Bardock and his squad just as they were finishing their lunch. Looking as he always did righteously indignant. 'So I take it that you will not be joining us for breakfast.' Commented Bardock with an amused look. Gohan looked away with an angry sounding snort. Bardock smirked and turned his attention back to his meal. After a moment of thoughtful crewing he wondered, 'Why did Freeza want this planet clear anyway? I didn't think people were queuing to buy this place.'

Toma shrugged, 'Who knows? Maybe he believed the story about he natives possessing psychic powers because of that strange mineral you only find on this planet.'

'We are psychic.' Bardock thought to him.

Toma snorted, 'They said the natives posses very different psychic abilities. They said that they could… see things.'

'See things?' wondered Bardock, 'What kind of things did they see?'

'The destruction of your accursed race.' Came a voice as Bardock felt a faint tap at the back of his skull. He turns and comes face to face with the last remaining survivor of the Kanassasei race, 'Your race commander is destined to become extinct just like mine… that is unless you turn against the one who brought our doom and will be the author of yours.' So saying he begins to laugh menacingly as Bardock collapses over come by a paralysis he could not fight.

'Grandpa.' Screamed Gohan as Celipa back-hands the Kanassasei native dozens of feet away, 'What did you do to my Grandfather?' demanded Gohan.

The Kanassasei native began to laugh as he said, 'You shall see soon enough.' Unable to take it any longer Toma blasted the last of the Kanassasei race to oblivion.

* * * * *


Table of Contents
Chapter 8
Chapter 10