Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ.......

Author's note: I am having a little trouble trying to keep Vegeta in character, so if you have any ideas to how I can keep his character but follow the story line of the fic, please email me and let me know. As I said before, it might drift away from bulma and vegeta a little, but I have a neat ending in store for you... so let's just leave it at that! :) Oh an tissue warning!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 9: A Helping Hand

 

"So," Kilaya grinned, " I see he failed just as your bald friend did?"

"You'll pay for that.." Piccolo growled.

"Is that a fact?" he smiled, " Bring it on, green man."

"Piccolo, don't do it.."Goku said, trying to get Piccolo's attention.

Ignoring Goku and everything around him, Piccolo removed his turban and cape. They hit the ground with a thud, dust flying every where. Not even bothering of to drop into fighting stance, Piccolo launched himself into the air, and straight at Kilaya.

"Piccolo! No!!"Goku yelled after his disappearing figure.

"So your just gonna go into battle without a plan? Fine with me." Kilaya dropped to stance, glaring at his adversary.

"Vegeta, " Goku said, " I don't think I'll be able to take it if Piccolo dies."

Looking toward his fellow Saiyan, Vegeta replied, "Kakarot, you're too soft." Goku hung his head, "But, ok, we'll help him." Goku's face brightened. Vegeta looked toward his son, and delivered a blow to the back of his neck, rendering him unconcious.

"Vegeta! What'd you do that for?!"Goku exclaimed.

"I don't want him getting involved.

"Oh." Goku replied, 'So, Vegeta really does care about his family.'

"No wnest time Piccolo goes down, we attack." Vegeta said, "But first,." Vegeta picked Goten and Trunks up and placed behind a near by boulder. Goku gave him a questioning look. "So they're out of the way."

"Masenko-ha!" Piccolo yelled, as he fired a blast straight at the back of Kilaya's head. Kilaya dogded, not really concentrating on the Namek's attempts to hit him.

"Whether I kill you know or later, I will complete the takeover of Earth."Kilaya said as Piccoloo attacked with a flurry of kicks and punches. Blocking the attack almost effortlessly, Kilaya sent Piccolo into a new realm of pain and suffering, with a powerful kick to his mid-section.

'There's no way I can win this. I jumped into it without a plan or even concidering what could happen,' Piccolo doubled over in pain , 'Now because of my foolishness, I must suffer the consequences.' Just as he finished his thoughts, Kilaya sent him careening toward the ground.

"Wait" Vegeta said, as he saw Goku about to attack, out of the corner of the eye. Sighing, Goku backed down.

Piccolo hit the ground with a crash, causing a crater to form and dust to fly into the air.

Goku looked at Vegeta, seeing if he could help his fallen friend. Vegeta just shook his head and once again, Goku backed down.

Kilaya now begain his descent, sending himself careening toward the fallen Namek.

"Now."Vegeta said as he phased out.

"Yeah!" Goku exclaimed as he followed in suit.

Throwing himself in the middle of Kilaya's path, Vegeta launched mutliple energy blasts ast the unsuspecting Kilaya. "What the?!" he yelled taking the blasts head on.

Goku lunged in from the back and caught Kilaya in the jaw as he was turning around. While attacking Kilaya, Vegeta was mentally assaulted with another vision, this time though, a strange new voice was added....

~ 'Vegeta.... you can't win. I'll kill you sooner or later.'

Then the sight of Piccolo's lifeless body lay before him, covered with blood. Vegeta then looked off to the side of him and there lay the rest of them, Kakarot, Goten, Gohan, and Trunks, all of them were lifeless.

'Trunks, no!' he ran to his side, 'No... I couldn't save him.'

'You see? No one can beat me, even your son.'

'Who are you?!' Vegeta exclaimed, 'I know you aren't Kilaya.'

'You're right I'm not, because, Kilaya's not the real threat.'

' What do you mean?'~

"Vegeta! Watch out!" Goku yelled to his friend.

Snapping out of his trance, Vegeta lifted his head and saw Kilaya's fist just before it connected. He flew backwards on impact. Forcing himself to stop in mid-air, Vegeta raised a gloved hand to wipe the blood from his face.

'So, that's what he's trying to do.' Vegeta thought, ' He's trying to get me distracted so he can take advantage of the situation, well, that's not gonna happen again.'

Goten, now awake, was busy trying to awaken his best friend. 'What's going on?' he wondered, 'Why isn't Trunks waking up?' "Come on, wake up!" he exclaimed. He was rewarded with a slight cough from Trunks, "Alright." Trunks' eyes popped open.

"Hey Goten, " he said.

"Hey, where's our dads?" Goten asked looking around.

"Oh no! They went to help Piccolo!" Trunks yelled.

" Well where are they?" Goten asked again.

"Vegeta!" Goku yelled, looking towards the ground.

" What is it, Kakarot!" he yelled, trying to follow Goku's glance.

"The kids..." was all he said.

"Huh?" Vegeta exclaimed, looking toward where they had left the kids. And sure enough, there were both of them, standing up, frantically looking at the sky.

"Well, there they are Goten. Let's help."Trunks said.

"You ready?" Goten asked.

"You bet." Trunks said as he and Goten dropped into stance.

"Vegeta I think they're coming to help us!" Goku yelled.

"Who cares, they won't make any difference." Kilaya said as he lunged forward at Goku.

'Trunks, don't do it, please..' Vegeta begged.,' I wouldn't be able to handle it if something happened to you.'

"Fusion-ha!" They both screamed, and dust flying everywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you tell I like keeping you guys in suspense? Well let me know how you like it. I would really like feedback. In the meantime, you guys can look forward to a great ending. So, until next chapter...

Kiore:)


Table of Contents
Chapter 8
Chapter 10 - to come